Friday, July 15, 2016

JULY CHALLENGE - CREATIVE CARTE BLANCHE - BOOKPAGES AND BLOOMS

Time is sure flying this Summer!  Can't believe we are already in the month of July!  The lovely Hels Sheridan has challenged us to a wonderful adventure - Book Pages and Blooms.  I wanted to incorporate Summer into this challenge, so here is what I came up with:


My piece - a 5 x 7" canvas - also includes one of my favorite authors, Jane Austen.  My favorite book and movie is Pride and Prejudice.  I used a wonderful stamp from B Line Designs entitled "Miranda" to represent Jane Austen.  I had to stamp her on paper first and enlarged her onto card stock so that she would be better proportioned in the scene I created.

I also stamped B Line Designs book and inkwell onto scrap card stock, colored and cut them both out.  I adhered some book text from the book Pride and Prejudice to the book and then glued the ink well over the text.



Now to finish the book.  I added the words "Jane Austen" to the letter below the book.  Then I adhered an embellishment I found in the bead department at my local craft store appropriately called "Pemberly" to the center of the book.


I prepared an art canvas by covering it with white gesso and letting it dry.  Then I used Broken China Distress Paint and a baby wipe to add blue color to the canvas, dabbing the color on.  Once dry, I used a stiff brush and white gesso to dab on "clouds".



I also added some Peeled Paint Distress Paint to the bottom of the canvas and at the base of the fence.
I stamped B Line Designs Manor fence twice onto tissue paper and adhered the image,- overlapping the two gates to create a wider one - using matte medium.


Now to add the pre stamped, cut and colored images to the canvas.



 I die cut a Grand Alder tree from memory Box using cream card stock and coloreds the tree with pencils and marker.  I cut the right edge away from the rest of the tree and added it to the right edge, over the fence.  My Jane Austen was then adhered over this piece.

The book was adhered to the left of my lady's image.  I stamped two swallows (B Line Designs Flying Friends Cube) onto scrap card stock, colored, cut out and adhered them to the left top of the canvas.

To finish, I added a piece of lace to the bottom of the canvas and then adhered a Beaded Strip                     border from B Line along the top of the lace.

I used Tim Holtz's Tiny Tattered Florals die to cut out some roses from a page from the Jane Austen book.  I spritzed some Spiced Marmalade Spray Stain onto a craft sheet along with water to tone down the color a bit.  The same was done with Peeled Paint Distress Spray Stain to color the leaves.  Once dry, I rolled the roses and placed the roses and leaves on either side of the canvas bottom.

Once again the finished canvas:



This was definitely a fun art adventure!  I can't wait to see what all of you create!

Susan





SaveSave

12 comments :

  1. Just lovely, Susan! You did an amazing job using Distress Paints for your foundation. They created a soft, feminine feel that really supports the Jane Austen theme. I think I'll go visit the English countryside now.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl! I know you like Jane Austen too. Don't that look like a relaxing place to be now?

      Delete
  2. I just love the wonderful scene you created Susan, you certainly managed to capture the spirit of the book and I love the Pemberley addition (what a lucky find) and the book itself is just beautiful with the book script. A beautiful English scene! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Anne! Sure was glad to have the opportunity to create an English scene - one of my favorite things to do!

      Delete
  3. It looks like she is sitting in a lovely grassy knoll waiting for someone to come picnic with her Susan. The fence is perfect in the background. It's just SUCH a lovely scene. Now I want to read about her life!!! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet comment, Joi! I had so much fun creating this scene! Makes me really want to be there relaxing!

      Delete
  4. It looks like she is sitting in a lovely grassy knoll waiting for someone to come picnic with her Susan. The fence is perfect in the background. It's just SUCH a lovely scene. Now I want to read about her life!!! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, this is such a pretty canvas. All your elements pulled together to make a beautiful scene. I can feel the soft wind blowing, the warmth of the sunny day, and the enjoyment of a good book outdoors. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful canvas project! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so very much for your comment, Susi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't know how I missed this - a gorgeous canvas with a wonderful tribute to Jane Austen. I love how you enlarged her and created the scene that fits so perfectly xxx

    ReplyDelete