One randomly chosen winner will also win a $25.00 shopping spree to The Funkie Junkie Boutique. Good luck to all!
Now for the technique. Here is my latest challenge project:
I decided to use a canvas this time which features beautiful die cut flowers and frosted film butterflies. I used a sentiment from Tim Holtz's Stampers Anonymous Life Quotes that I felt would blend well with the "dreamy quality" created as a result of blending the die cut butterflies with the frosted film.
I started off by creating my butterflies. I used Tim Holtz's Sizzix Butterfly Duo die set. (I obviously didn't use the included texture fade). You will have to go to Page 59 to see how I accomplished this technique. Here are the finished butterflies:
I then decided I wanted some texture to my canvas, so I started with a coat of white gesso on the canvas. When it was dry, I added Wendy Vecchi's white embossing paste through Tim's Flourish Stencil. Finally, I added some watered down Tumbled Glass Distress Paint to the background and then some white Picket Fence Distress paint to the raised surfaces. This is how the prepared canvas looked:
Now I was quite unhappy with myself when I first created this texture pattern. I originally had a "white on white" pattern, but decided that it was too "white" for my butterflies to really show up well. I tossed around the idea of starting all over and painting the canvas with Tumbled Glass Distress paint first and then adding the white paste, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. One of my mottos is "there is a way to fix anything" so I was determined to fix it. It ended up being easier than I thought to use white Picket Fence Distress Paint to highlight the raised surface. The Tumbled Glass background was watered down a bit so that the background wasn't too dark.
I then cut a number of flowers from my absolute favorite Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations Tattered Floral Garland as well as some greenery from the Alterations Spring Greenery die. I colored the flowers by blending Picked Raspberry and Squeezed Lemonade Distress inks. When dry, I assembled them and added Buttercup and Petal Pink Liquid Pearls to the flower centers. The greenery was colored with Peeled Paint and Gathered Twigs Distress inks.
I laid out the flowers and greenery on the canvas until I was happy with the layout.
Unfortunately, even though I lightened the background a tad, the colors seemed to vary each time of the day I photographed the piece. It is actually a little lighter in color.
Now I wondered how I was going to stamp my sentiment on the canvas. I certainly couldn't do it the traditional way due to the texture. Then I remembered the technique I learned from Cheryl (who learned it from Candy), etc. of stamping on white tissue paper, tearing around the sentiment and using Matte Medium to adhere it to the background with a paint brush. Worked like a charm! The tissue blends right into the background!
Finally, I adhered all the flowers and greenery as well as the butterflies to the canvas using Matte Medium. Once again here is the finished project:
See what I mean about the variation in background color!
Here it is on a darker background and different light (even though it is really a slightly lighter blue):
You may have noticed I added antennae to the butterflies before I adhered them to the canvas. I achieved this by cutting two small pieces of black linen thread and creating a knot on either end. I then folded each in half and adhered them to the back of the butterflies' bodies.
All of us here at the CC3 Challenge are looking forward to seeing your submissions! You all are such talented artists who have blown us away with your creativity! Let's see more of it!