The current challenge, Altered Surfaces, can be found on Page 45 of Tim's Compendium of Curiosities III book. It's never too late to get your autographed copy which can be found here. Tim and Mario are also providing a fabulous prize package to the winner chosen by the Curiosity Crew.
The wonderful folks at Inspiration Emporium also have a generous $50.00 shopping spree just waiting for the randomly chosen winner of this challenge. You will love their product selection and customer service!
Now all of us on the Curiosity Crew want you to participate, so head on over to Linda Ledbetter's site here for all the rules!
Here is my project:
A lovely blog comment was made that she enjoyed my use of family photos in past blog challenge posts. It made be realize that I hadn't incorporated any for awhile! Time to dig out more photos!
I have always wanted to do something with the above hilarious photo of my mother (center) with her best buddies, Pat (left) and Ginger (right). She has tried to convince me that this photo was taken in Wenatchee, Washington at the carnival during the Apple Blossom Festival. However, I know better as I have this photo that shows what happened to these naughty girls:
Now for the challenge piece. I chose to alter the large number 3 as well as the arrow. I thought the technique would be most effective on larger pieces. The number 3 is from Idea-ology Alpha Parts Numeric and the Arrow is from Alpha Parts Framed. I attempted to use the technique on the framed sentiment, also from the Alpha Parts Framed, however, I think it is much more effective on the more solid pieces. I can't tell you how I accomplished this look as you have to find out yourself by turning to page 45 of the book, however, here are close-ups of the two altered surfaces:
I began my project by placing patterned paper cards from Idea-ology Pocket Cards behind the photo and adhering them to my Burlap canvas (also from Idea-ology) I then adhered a red strip cut from Tim's Sizzix Alterations Frameworks Courtyard die so that it would peek out from behind my photo as well as another card from the Pocket Cards. I adhered my enlarged photo over the paper and die and added some Film Strip Ribbon on either side of the photo. This is how it looked at that point:
Now I began to add more details to the canvas, including a Flash Card with the word "Friend" (I added an "s" from Alpha Parts to the end) from Flash Cards Elementary, Two Remnant Rubs from the Numbers Sheet, several pieces from the Ephemera Pack (Thrift Shop and Expedition), some tiny playing cards from my stash and a Word Band. I threaded Correspondence Paper String through the Word Band and adhered blue eyelets. The Paper String was wrapped around to the back of the canvas. I did the same thing on the right side of the piece as well. Here are some close ups of the details:
I used Distress Paints to add color to the Alpha Parts Framed "Good Times". The red ticket is an actual raffle ticket and the other two are from the Ephemera Packs.
One last look at the finished project:
Looking at this piece in my studio will definitely make me smile!
Ok, now it's your turn to create a project using Altered Surfaces! I hope you have as much fun as I did with this project! My mother will either laugh or be horrified that I chose these photos!