Have you heard of Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations Embossing Diffusers? If you haven't, this is a product you will definitely want to look for! Embossing Diffusers are featured in this 27th Compendium of Curiosities III Challenge, so get out Tim's book by the same name and play along! Still don't have the book? You may still purchase your autographed copy here. If you don't have the embossing diffusers, head on over to The Inspiration Emporium and order one! The Inspiration Emporium is also the sponsor of this week's challenge and is providing a $50.00 shopping spree to one lucky randomly chosen winner!
Tim and Mario have another amazing prize package waiting for the winner of the Curiosity Crew's Choice. I have noticed that several people have just bought the book and are playing along now! Goes to show you it's never too late! You will find this challenge on Page 61 of the book.
Without further ado, here is the project I created with the Embossing Diffuser:
I lOVE this butterfly image from Tim's Stampers Anonymous Perspective set! Many people have already featured it in their artwork. I have just been biding my time waiting for the perfect moment and I think this is it!
I started by using the paint marbling technique on manila card stock. The paint colors are Cracked Pistachio and Pumice Stone. I then filled in with Gathered Twigs Distress ink.
Before I began the embossing diffuser technique. I also used the paint marbling technique on three more pieces of manila card stock for the butterfly. So sorry I didn't get a picture of these pieces! I used Cracked Pistachio, Squeezed Lemonade, Mustard Seed and Dusty Concord Distress Paints.
I followed the technique on Page 61 using Tim's Sizzix Alterations small oval embossing diffuser found in Set 1 and his Sizzix Alterations Trellis embossing folder. Using Tarnished Brass Distress Paint, I then lightly touched the paint to the raised parts of the embossed piece. I love the contrast with the open area of the oval! To finish it off, I found some gold fiber in my stash I adhered around the oval to make it stand out even more! It was easy as the shape was clearly defined on the card. Finally I added three small flowers I die cut from a portion of the prepared marbled card stock using Tim's Alterations Tattered Floral Garland die and some ivy from the Spring Greenery die. For the flower stamens I put some matte medium in the center of the flowers and sprinkled some coppery colored micro beads inside.
I stamped the butterfly three times on the marbled card stock and cut out all three. I added a bit of slightly watered down Tarnished Brass Distress paint to the wings close to the edges and then adhered all three butterflies together using matte medium. To finish the butterfly, I wanted it to connect "color-wize" with the metallic colors in the flower stamen, so I used the same micro beads for the butterfly's body.
Here are some close ups:
I am finding it quite interesting how the different lighting conditions affect the color of the project....
The last step was to adhere the completed butterfly to the card piece. Once again here is the completed project:
As always, we REALLY enjoy seeing all the clever things you do with your artwork! Head on over to Linda Ledbetter's site for all the details and make sure to follow the rules! Most of all, have fun!